5/28/2010

I Can Fly! - North Bay Cinematography


A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had been spending some time in a helicopter, and I was going to talk a bit more about that. Well, I guess it has been long enough now, it's about time I get to it.

So, I've been spending some time shooting for a corporate video, and it has required me to go up in a helicopter a few times. This wouldn't really be a big deal, but before this month, I had never been in a helicopter... oh, and I just happen to be terrified of heights!  

The first few times I went up were actually no big deal. I was so distracted by what I was shooting that I didn't even pay attention to where I was, so it all worked out. The third time was going to be more of the same, until the pilot says to me "How about I take the door off the helicopter so you can hang out and stand out there on the landing skid?"

"How about you take the door off?? Oh SURE!!" and that's when my stomach started feeling a little funny. They got to work on removing the door, and anything in the aircraft that wasn't strapped down, and off I went to get a harness on. About half an hour later, it was time. My harness was buckled in, and I actually felt pretty secure, even though half of me was hanging out of this big piece of metal that was about to be in the sky.

Take off was fine and the next thing I knew we were pretty high up, and the wind was hitting me quite nicely. Again I was distracted by what I was up there to do, and didn't focus much on the craziness of it. I was actually pretty calm. That is until we took a sharp right turn (I had no idea a helicopter could tilt so far sideways), and I found myself looking straight down, with nothing between me and the ground below. Far below. My heart started pounding a bit for a few seconds, until we straightened out and I started breathing again. hah.

It all worked out in the end, and I'd love to go up again! Here are a few screen captures taken from some of the video I shot while I was up there...









4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Wow amazing experience for you!!!!
    So now your experienced in an other era of photography Congrats Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Guy Ippersiel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My post just went up into the ether. Looks like you had a good time up there fly boy. Good job on the shots too I guess, I'm just surprised your shaking hands allowed you to shoot anything at all.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.