7/05/2010

Hi Everybuggy! - North Bay Nature Photography

I had to dig up a few insect photos for something recently, and as I was scanning through all my files, I started noticing that I had quite a few bug shots in there over the years. I don't have any special interest in the pests, but I have always been a fan of macro photography, and I guess bugs are just an easy subject. They're pretty interesting to look at close-up, and they're generally slow enough that you can get a good shot before they flee.

One of the shots I came across was of a praying mantis. It was pretty odd, because we found it just outside our house. I'm pretty sure those things aren't running wild around here, so I guess a neighbor nearby must have had it as a pet and it got away or something. Anyway, finding a mantis in our yard was weird, but even more strange was that the insect was brown, and not the usual bright green.

I don't know if it was dried out and dying, and that's why it lost its colour, but I put it on a big plant we had on our porch, and the next day, it was gone. I guess it either made its way elsewhere, or it became a midnight snack for some other critter.

Here's the shot of the mantis, as well as a few other bug shots I took a while back. These were all shot on a variety of ultra compact cameras I had years ago, before I took the leap to my first DSLR. Have a macro look!...






2 comments:

  1. Ashley Martin7:08 PM

    I love these pics. Especially the the one of the bee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think it's my favorite bug shot too. I took that one a while back when I was working the tech job at Canadore. I had just bought a Konica-Minolta DiMAGE X1 (back when Minolta still made cameras)... it was a pretty slow camera, and had a bunch of limitations like any pocket camera, but it was awesome at macro. I got plenty of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.